Wednesday, February 28, 2007

today I had my first tutorial in a long time. it was an absolutely different sort of tutorial from the jc type of class-like ones. obviously. we had an introduction about the importance of communication in a clinical setting. yeah, of course it's important! no use knowing how to diagnose and treat but the patient doesn't understand or cannot follow what you want them to do, right? then we had a basic role-play thing so the tutor (who was really a young fresh GP lady) was a difficult patient, and the students took turns medical interview-ing her. learnt lots from her advice.

I've been meeting new people over the past 3 days and basically I need to talk to and get to know more ppl still. but the environment doesn't allow for it in my opinion. firstly, a lack of a proper organised orientation makes it hard. secondly, the time so far has been filled only with lectures, which are obviously not conducive for talking and chatting. well, with the tuts slowly coming into the picture, i'm sure we'll get to know everyone else more.

well. I'm still getting used to the thing that in the course, there are a lot of asians, but most of them are aussies too, so they speak with the aussie accent and lingo. it's even weirder when they have a super cheena name but they speak so aussie-ly! haha still getting used to it. like in my above-mentioned tutorial, there was only 1 real caucasian girl, the rest (about 10 of us) asians, but most of which have like no real asian in them. and that I think is not a very good thing, losing your roots. I don't know, my personal feel is that yes, they may talk aussie, act like one, but where do they really belong?

on the other hand, does it matter?

sure, I'm still new to a lot of things here. the environment, the people (and the way they talk), the culture. everything. but I'm sure I'll learn. right now, I'm trying to fill my time with pre-reading of notes, all only to ensure I don't fall further behind that I already am.

I don't want to feel stupid anymore.
what a long load of trash I just wrote. why do you bother reading?